Saturday, January 12, 2013

Constant Companion

A couple posts ago I mentioned we were taking Liam's bottle away for good. I am proud to announce it is GONE! The first night was TOUGH to say the least. He cried and cried and cried some more but the next night was better and now it's not an issue at all. When he gets tired he practically begs to go to bed and gets excited when we put him down.

The reason it took so long for me to get him off his bottle is probably a silly reason. Even after his doctor said they like to have kids off it by 14 months I still didn't do it. My reasoning was this:

Liam's bottle has been his constant companion since birth. It is what he would turn to for comfort. I didn't have the heart to take it away. If you could see how overjoyed he would get at bedtime when he got his bottle (literally so overjoyed he can't contain himself) you wouldn't have done it either. In my head taking it away was like Tom hanks losing Wilson in castaway. "Wilson? Wilson? WILSON!? WIIILLLLSOOONN!??!" Where are you? That's how I thought Liam might react.

Though Liam cried that first night and it was hard and sad to see him go through that, I am glad we did. He was drinking too many liquids and not eating enough real food. Now his true Polynesian side has come through and is wanting to eat all day!

This will just go down in the books as another new mom lesson learned, one which I will try and not repeat with Layla.

1 comment:

  1. I have the same problem with pacifier. I took Olivia's bottle away and replaced it with a sippy cut and she was like "Um, no thanks" so I knew the bottle was just a comfort thing. But her "mimi" (what she calls it)? Its the reason she runs to her crib for a nap (she only gets it at nap time). I don't know if I'm ready to give that up. But good job on sticking to your guns! I need to do this.

    ReplyDelete