Monday, November 19, 2012

Liams Ear Tubes


Today Liam got tubes put in his ears.
He has had 3 ear infections in the last 3 months. NO FUN!!!
When I took him to the pediatrician for this last ear infection he said that we should wait til he gets another ear infection before we talk about getting tubes. 

I went home that night and started researching it. I thought it was stupid to wait around for him to get another infection before that became an option. I remembered that the high counsel man in our old ward was an Ear Nose and Throat doctor so I emailed him and told him what had been going on. He said that if a kid has had 3 infections within 6 months they recommend tubes. I made an appt for Liam to go see him the next day. 

He looked in Liam's ears and recommended we get the tubes so we scheduled the surgery for today! I was so happy that we were able to get it done so quickly and make it so Liam does not have to deal with the pain anymore. 

The surgery went really well. I got to stay with Liam all the way up until the anesthesiologist took him to the operating room. Liam went right to the guy and didn't even look back at me so that made it a lot easier. The procedure only took about 20 minutes and I was back with him. He has been slightly fussy today but that is normal. I am excited to see the difference this makes in how he feels. I am also hoping it will help his speech take off, as I learned that fluid in a child's ears is a big reason for speech delay.  

No comments:

Post a Comment