Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Liam update


A few things have happened with Liam lately. The most recent of those things is he got stitches on his head. A few days ago I left him in the living room while I went to get dressed for the day and it wasn't long before I heard him fall anda blood  curdling scream. I ran out and from what I could tell he had tripped and hit his head on the corner of the door frame. He had blood running down his face. I cleaned it up the best I could, got him to calm down, then tried to look at it. By that time it didn't look too bad, and one of his therapists was going to be over soon so I figured I would ask her what she thought about it. When she saw it she said it would probably heal just fine so I decided not to take him in. Fast forward two days and Liam bumped his head on the wood part of the hammock outside and reopened the wound. We took Liam to my neighbors mom, who is a nurse and she suggested we go and get it stitched. So now he has 4 stitches, and we are trying to keep him from falling and hitting it again, which is no easy task!!!! 

Liam is still seeing a speech therapist. He was also reevaluated by early intervention when he turned two, so he is now also seeing an occupational therapist and a therapist that helps him with some fine motor skills. In addition to that, twice a week we go to a play group at the center where they do free play and structured play and it has been very good for him. 

The reason Liam sees the occupational therapist is because he struggles with some sensory processing things. If anyone knows Liam you know he is always on the move. Basically Liam is hypo sensitive and is not getting enough stimulus so what we do with him is rough play (wrestling,swinging, jumping, etc) 3x a day to help him fulfill his need for stimulus. It seems to be helping him a lot. It helps him focus better and listen to us better and will enable him to learn better as well. 

Liam has become quite the protector of Layla. During play group when it is time for structured play, Layla has to go in another room with a babysitter so we can focus on Liam. Often she will cry and Liam always has to go find her. The second they bring her out he is so happy and says "sissy!!!"

Liam and Layla love playing with each other. When one is napping the other always goes to their door and try's to get in to  wake them up. They get so excited to see each other. I love the relationship they have. 

Liam is such a good boy and I love him so much. He makes us laugh all day with his cute personality! 

No comments:

Post a Comment